Santa Justa Lift
One of the city’s best-loved landmarks and also known as the “Elevator of Carmo,” this extraordinary structure was
built in 1901 by the Portuguese-born French architect Raoul de Mesnier du Ponsard (an apprentice of Gustave Eiffel,
explaining the structure’s similarities to Paris’ Eiffel Tower), to connect downtown to Bairro Alto (the lowest and highest points of the city). Originally powered by steam, it is 45 meters (147ft) high, and remains an interesting example of post-Eiffel iron architecture. The top of the Neo-Gothic tower, reached via a spiral staircase, has a cafe with splendid views of the city, including over Rossio Square, the castle and the river.